Graduate Program Alumni
Graduates of RSJ’s Media Innovation M.A. program have gone on to successful careers in interactive media, journalism, communications, and other fields. What was their experience in the Graduate program? Where are our talented alumni now?
“Definitely do it.
I considered other Graduate schools, but when it came to the value and the amount of time that it would take to complete the program and the small, close net feeling that I got, it was worth it.”
Academic Background: Tennessee Tech University, Bachelor in Journalism
Seiber joined the Graduate program in May 2016. She heard about the program because of family and friends who lived in Reno. Seiber was working in a newspaper in a little town in Tennessee.
Seiber is currently working as a professor of Journalism at Tennessee Tech. She was offered a position right after she graduated from RSJ.
“UNR set me up on my career. They prepared me for this journey.
What attracted me from the RSJ is that they were trying to do different things. They were experimenting but they were open to experiment.”
Academic Background: Bachelor of Arts in Printed Journalism in Russia, 2007
Revazova was working as a freelancer, reporter, monitor and journalist for BBC Russian Services.
She joined the program in August 2012. Revazova was looking for something to bring her up to date with what is happening in Journalism. She was very much focused on print journalism, and wanted to explore the new ways of doing journalism.
Revazova has been working on PR in the last 4 years. She is working to have her own production company. She wants to do her own storytelling and set up her own podcast.
“Use the RSJ Grad School to go to the top.
Everybody comes into the program with different needs. My want was to come out as a writer. The program was set up to allow me to do that.”
Academic Background: Pepperdine University. Undergraduate degree in Finance and Organizational Development and minor in English. Graduate degree in Business.
Rassler wanted to pivot from Business to Journalism. He joined the program in September 2012.
His decision of joining the J school was based on the quality of the professors, the flexibility of the platform, and the ability to use the program as a workshop of sorts. For Rassler, the program moved forward onto a practical, hands-on approach.
Rassler is the Founding Editor of Sustainable Play, a long-form literary outdoor writing magazine celebrating the confluence of people, planet and play. He writes for Outside Magazine, Sierra Magazine and Alpinist Magazine.
- Cody Johnson, 2014: Public Relations Coordinator for the City of Reno, in Reno, NV.
- Jonathan Barragan, 2014: Freelance Content Strategist & Marketer and Online Marketing Coordinator at USAC, University Studies Abroad Consortium in Reno, NV.
- Jeri Chawdwell Singley, 2014: Freelance Writer and Multimedia Developer in Reno, NV.
- Abbie Walker, 2013: Content and Community Manager for Nature’s Bakery in Reno, NV.
- Laura Brigham, 2012: Communications Coordinator for Black Rock Solar in Reno, NV.
- Nicole Carlsen, 2012: Public Relations Account Manager for The Glenn Group in Reno, NV.
- Kaitlin Godbey, 2012: Communications Specialist for Travel Nevada in Carson City, NV.
- Joan Grover, 2012: Director of Communications for the Reno-Sparks Gospel Mission in Reno, NV.
- Katy Kelly, 2012: Digital Marketing Manager for the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, NV.
- Dana Sullivan Kilroy, 2012: Director of Content Strategy for ShortStack, a social media software company in Reno, NV.
- Matthew Saylor, 2012: Director of Business Development for Cedar Crest Hospital and Residential Treatment Center in Belton, TX.
- Marissa Schwartz, 2012: All Platform Journalist (Reporter/Producer) for KRNV My News Channel 4 in Reno, NV.
- Bridget Meade, 2011: Digital Content Producer for the Reno Gazette Journal in Reno, NV.
- Catherine Cole Ferandelli, 2010: Owner/Operator of C Cole Apartments, with apartment properties in Northern Nevada and Orange County, CA.
- Ning Liu, 2010: PhD Student of Intercultural Communication at the University of Kansas, in Lawrence, KS.
- Fanny Pinheiro, 2010: Freelance Journalist/Photographer for the Herald Tribune (Florida), and G1-Globo (Brazil).
- Kate Thomas, 2010: Digital Media Strategist for Noble Studios in Reno, NV.
- Monica Thompson, 2010: Digital Engagement Manager for the City of Reno in Reno, NV.
- Jessica Townsend, 2010: Advertising Coordinator for Maryland Live! Casino, in Baltimore, MD.
- Hailee Vance, 2010: Marketing Coordinator for No-IP in Reno, NV.
- Nonie Wainwright, 2010: Coordinator of Communications/Athletic Eligibility Assistant for the University of Colorado in Boulder, CO.
- Heather Cosby, 2009: Internal Communications at PPR Worldwide in San Francisco, CA.
- Tammy Krikorian Gabel, 2009: Public Relations Specialist for Banner Health in Phoenix, AZ.
- Scott Gayer, 2009: Creative Director for Journey The Way Church in Wichita, KS.
- Megan Gibson, 2009: Communications Manager for the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges in Reno, NV.
- Michelle Horton, 2009: Communications Coordinator at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in Menlo Park, CA.
- Whitney Parks, 2009: Communications Specialist, Corporate at Geosyntec Consultants, an environmental engineering firm in Roswell, GA.
- Ana Luiza Valverde de Silva, 2009: PhD Student with Programa de Doctorat en Comunicació e Interculturalitat at University of Valencia, in Valencia, Spain.
- Cody Olivas, 2008: Sports Editor for The Taos News, in Taos, NM.
- Liz Margerum, 2007: Videographer for the Reno Gazette Journal in Reno, NV.
- Gideon For-Mukwai, 2007: Founder and Director of XtraMile Solutions, a corporate crisis prevention and communications training services business in Singapore and South Africa.
- Kamila Pawlik, 2007: Senior Program Manager for Microsoft Office Marketing Execution and Delivery in Redmond, WA.
- Ryan Jerz, 2006: Coordinator for Statewide Audio/Visual at the University of Nevada School of Medicine in Reno, NV
- Frank Mullen, 2006: Freelance Journalist, Author, Chautauqua performer, Nevada history lecturer, and part-time teacher at Reynolds School of Journalism, in Reno, NV.
- Abbey Smith, 2006: Agricultural Digital Manager for Swift Communications, Inc., in Reno, NV.
- Melissa Sullivan, 2006: Manager of Marketing Communications for UniGroup in Webster Groves, MO.
Want to update your information? Contact Mauricio Rojas Durand, at firstname.lastname@example.org